We bought our first house for $54,000. It had a one-car garage, a fuse box and no central air conditioning. Oh, and it had ugly brown carpet. Like many new homeowners of vintage homes, we were anxious to pull up that sad brown carpet to reveal the hardwood floors that undoubtedly lie underneath. We were part of the 47% of the population who say they prefer hardwood flooring in their home and the 90% who say they prefer hardwood or tile in the kitchen. When we pulled back the carpet in the tiny living room, it revealed . . . hardwood but in poor condition. We were devastated. But instead of crying over damaged flooring, we turned to replacing it with brand new hardwood flooring and we couldn’t be happier.
Instead of days spent with a rented sander, we hired professionals for our floor installation and it was done quickly and perfectly. We also had the kitchen laminate removed and tile installed. The choices of floor tile textures and floor tile materials were overwhelming but we received great advice on how to pair our new wood floor texture with our new kitchen tile and it looks beautiful. We became homeowners who would soon learn the benefits of our new investment.
Benefits of Hardwood and Tile
- Less Dust and Allergens. Carpet harbors dust and allergens like no other. It may feel cushy under your feet, but for allergy sufferers, daily life at home can be miserable. A study in Sweden showed a 30% decrease of allergic reactions in the general public when carpet use was reduced by 70%.
- Ease of Cleaning. Hardwood floors are so easy to take care of. And if you have pets, you’ll really appreciate the ease with which you can keep pet hair under control. Sweeping and a damp cloth takes care of most weekly cleaning and the occasional cleansing with a mild soap keeps floors looking great for years. No special oils or treatments are required. Tile is similarly easy to care for. These are not the hardwood floors of your grandmother’s era. No wax and maintenance. Polyurethane seals modern hardwood flooring making upkeep a breeze.
- Beauty and Versatility in Decorating. Hardwood’s gorgeous rich color brings warmth to any room. The natural beauty of wood in unparalleled. Add to that the fun of adding beautiful rugs and you’ve got a home decorator’s dream. When you tire of one color scheme, you can switch out your rug and try something new. Hardwood never goes out of style.
- Durability and Stain Resistance.Nothing wears like wood and tile. It takes a lot to damage or ruin these materials. Spills can be quickly mopped up. Stains are a thing of the past. Wood and tile wear for years. While carpet is cushy, it also begins to look worn, especially in high traffic areas. Install a wood or tile entryway and it’ll look as great in 10 years as it did the day you installed it.
- Return on Investment. A survey conducted by the National Association of Realtors revealed that 54% of buyers are willing to pay more for a home with hardwood flooring. And that’s just what we discovered when we went to sell that first house.
While it may not seem the most glamorous part of your home, the floors you walk on daily really impact how you feel about your living space. Nothing compares to the warmth and beauty and richness of hardwood flooring. Homeowners who buy high quality wood floor materials will not be disappointed. And although we dreamed of uncovering a treasure in our first home, we were able to have that dream a reality with brand new flooring. And can you guess what we’re having installed in our newly constructed home? You guessed it.